It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:06 pm

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:02 pm 

This post considers the inevitable threat gamers face when playing any FPS with true manual targeting; "Hackers", "Cheaters", "Aim Botters" whatever they be named. As the technology to combat hackers evolves, so too does the cheating profiteer adapt their programs to serve their shameful subscribers.

Any veteran FPS player knows and loves the thunderous sound and satisfaction of nailing that perfect shot and watching their foe drop. It is important to those players to feel like their abilities and weapons are profound, big sound... or silenced whisper, and obvious damage or effect on their target has become an industry standard. While the old aim in the general direction/target-lock pew pew and wait for scrolling numbers to tell you how much damage you've done, or yawn and pull the trigger again (Think Earth Rise, or Tabula Rasa) is generally considered a lesser shooter to any fan of the genre. In either case you have drawbacks.

Weather it be unsatisfying FPS combat or "downloaded skill".

My question to the Dev's is one of how they expect to handle their free targeting system and the cheaters that will inevitably spoil any good FPS, or FPSMMO. After all, cheating very nearly killed that game All Points Bulletin.

Random thought... Perhaps a sort of hybrid system like the one we see in Fallout, Targeting through Vats, and being able to cripple individual body parts, even hindering movement and aiming ability. Though that does not eliminate the potential for hackers it may level the playing field moderately... Giving less seasoned FPS players the chance to "roll the dice" and more more experienced the ability to handle it themselves.
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 pm 

I like the idea of manual aim. Too many games make shooting too simple. I remember in rdr all I had to do was press two buttons and I'd get a kill. The lock on system was unbelievable and made killing too easy. I like the developers making manual aim the norm. It would make players stay on their feet and no one would be at a disadvantage IMO.

Also, imagine trying to escape a group of players and while you are running and about to turn the corner, they lock on and ice you. It would get repetitive.

As for hackers and other scum, I think a basic kick vote system would be good. Obviously if he is going around aim-botting everyone, those people would get angry and just press the vote to kick button, and eventually the hacker would be kicked. You could also report the player to the GMs. A good anti-cheat system would be nice too. I hear punk buster ain't too good anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:52 am 

Oh yes, I'm a "veteran fps player", I am fully behind manual targeting, however my concern is to address handling of the scum as you called them.

I've never seen a vote kick system for an mmorpg, and being that combat is planned to take place outside of instances you wouldn't want a (new word) Grieftastic vote system that could simply be abused by any large group. The idea is to make players fight it out in the game world.

Punk buster has been thoroughly trumped, and I understand the devs are setting their hopes on a nice platform like steam to be their anti punk muscle. I am behind them in that hope, as steam, and vac have an excellent track record for staying on top of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:57 am 

It's obvious that MMO game without proper anticheat program won't last for long, especially with the manual aiming system. If you ask me, I'm against vote kick system. Why? The answer is simple: I don't want this game to be next production where I'm punished for being too good (yup, sorry for my high self-evaluation here ;)). I've just imagined 3 guys, took down by me, who call me cheater and trying to kick me what might result in ban for nothing. The second reason: how do you want to choose right group of players who should make a decision in case of kicking someone or not? Think about this production as a really succesfull game and about hundreds, thousands of players on server. Who should vote? Someone who even didn't see me? Those who were killed by me? It could work ONLY with something like kill-cams and with the assumption that everyone is righteous and no one would like to taste sweet revenge on someone who killed him.
I'm for manual aiming and anticheat, but strongly against vote kick system.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:01 pm 

The idea i had to combat this, is to add in a dice roll behind it, so no matter how good your aim is, there is a chance you will miss.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 pm 

Road Warrior

Sythen wrote:The idea i had to combat this, is to add in a dice roll behind it, so no matter how good your aim is, there is a chance you will miss.

Perhaps, in addition to this, each weapon would have a given range that they would not target beyond, i.e. a light machine gun can only target 100 meters away at most, whereas a heavy machine gun can target 150 meters away, with the idea being that the distance is the weapon's maximum effective range (and maybe even "Plink, clink, clank" noises for when you're hit by someone beyond their effective range).

Long-Lost Rule #589 of the Post-Apocalyptic Road Trip Survival Guide: Use the bathroom when you have the chance, and bring some diapers or a bedpan just incase.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:11 am 

Effective range is usually reliant on the bullet and barrel, provided the other basics like the composition of the components of the bullet are non-variable (powder quality, etc). A submachine gun (pistol ammunition) might be ~100m but effective range with a loss of accuracy could extend to several hundred meters. Light machine gun basically means a rifle shell in most cases (223, 303, 308, etc) so something like 500-750m effective range is about normal there, though the bullets can hop around a bit from shot to shot, wind matters, etc. Heavy machine guns (50 BMG etc) are most accurate, just like anything else, at closer ranges, but can go out to nearly a mile with reasonable effectiveness in terms of "volume of fire" though true accuracy (one shot, one likely hit of a 2m x 1m rectangle) would suffer quite a bit past 450-750m especially with traditional open sights.